Thursday, October 19, 2017

Post-Op - Where to convalesce and get better?


I had a great long conversation with our son (with the hip fracture) today. He called from Brooklyn’s Kings County Hospital. His opinion is that he wants to convalesce at our Ansonia abode, which I agree would be the safest alternative. 

Since I use a power wheelchair, the house is much better for someone who has to safer to move around in There are a few reasons that makes the most sense : 

1) He works remotely for his Canadian employer with a company furnished laptop and phone that means…he can work anywhere.

2) Our house is a ranch and we have laminate floors with no obstructions 

3) Our house has a ramp into the house with an ADA 1:12 slope ramp and 36” wide doors; 

4) It has a full ADA bathroom with a 5-ft turn radius, a tall toilet and a roll-in shower with full width shower bench; 

As for his apartment in the Ditmas section of Brooklyn: 

1) He has a tiny bathroom with a tub, low toilet - and about 15 sq. ft of floor to move on - crutches are not welcome. 

2) The building was built in 1927 - if the one elevator failed, how would he get to the third floor when he cannot bear weight on his right side and thus not be able to use the stairs. 

I advised him that he has to advise the hospital social workers that he has to come back to Ansonia because otherwise it will not be a ‘Safe Discharge’. 

And it cannot occur until at least Saturday when Allegra and I can drive to the borough of Kings and she can get items out of his apartment while I artfully double park in the meantime :)

Remember the term ‘Safe Discharge’…I’ve seen terrible discharge plans at nursing homes when I worked MFP, so I advised that he use the term ‘Safe Discharge’ often when he’s speaking to the hospital staff. When you do that, you are telling them you are an informed consumer. 

I also suggested he ask the social worker to let read his discharge plan as it currently exists and as it is updated. It has to be safe…

The hospital has to advise that his follow-up care be in Connecticut. I would imagine that insurance would allow this - but he should go back to the safe discharge and local doctors can deal with the follow-up. 

Appeal the insurer if necessary.I see Cam making the best case. If not, I’ll drive him to Brooklyn for appointments, but that shouldn’t happen.

Every other detail that needs to be attended to up here can easily be done. Being a great self-advocate is a great place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment