Saturday, April 8, 2017

Shadow Shot Sunday - Can anyone say this?



For Shadow Shot Sunday 2, we look for the shape and style of shadow, which the light fixtures give here. Of greater interest is the rest of the picture...I located a set of pics in a box last week, and there was a series of pictures taken by our then twelve son in July, 2003 on a People-to-People student exchange trip to Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales, the home of today's subject.

How does one pronounce the noertwest Wales town's name Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch?

A search sys this roughly translates from Welsh to England as 'St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave.' Not knowing the ancient language, that sounds reasonable to my ears :)

5 comments:

  1. Great shadows, but I wouldn't even begin to know how to pronounce that Welsh word--and I thought German was bad for stringing words together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, great shadows! What an incredibly long word with so many consonants! One can't even play that as a Scrabble word.
    I think the newer versions of Google Chrome makes it so that I can't comment here on your blog-I am out of town and working on an old laptop and I see that I can comment here. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely building and neat shadows but not even going to try to 'say the town name ' ~ fun post ~ thanks,

    Wishing you Happy Days ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. A long long time ago, I saw this name in a photo of a railway station in Wales. Of course, there was just one sign on the station with this name. It looked incredible. And now here it is on a building. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cannot pronounce this but immediately knew it was in Wales!!! Great shot! I think I was here back in the late '70s with my parents....supposedly this town's name has the world's record for length and impossible pronunciation! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete