Saturday, October 13, 2018

The Weekend Roundup, 'O'

It is a rainy and raw Saturday - and a perfect time to write a post for Tom's fun meme, The Weekend Roundup. The fourth vowel is featured this week and matching it took some time...

'O' is for Ohio. I believe this Ohio exhibit is at the NY Worlds Fair 1939-1940, its Opening year. My dad was almost 12 that year.

My father is older here, then in the US Army Air Forces in either 1946 or 1947. He is with Aunt Terry in Steubenville Ohio, under the Market Street Bridge that crosses the Ohio River.

Then there is Dodge Omni. My then toddler nephew Matt is running by my dad's 1979 Omni O24, my 1979 Omni (R) and if you look closely past my teal Dodge is the backside of my sister's '79 Omni O24. A trifecta of sorts...

And here is the Olympia Diner on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington, CT. Best corned beef hash I've had anywhere!

Favorite.Here are two swans floating blissfully on the still water at the Pond at Witek Park in Derby CT. All is well in this peaceful scene.

5 comments:

  1. ...Ralph, you sure do come from a Dodge family. I love how you have this huge collection of vintage family pictures. I love diners and this diner sign is great, corned beef hash is something that I've never had. We have some of the dumbest swans living near us, they rest on the side of road. They've put cones out.
    Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, corned beef hash! Haven't had that in years. Love the swans. It's raining here, too. Blah day, but a good day to catch up on reading. Hope tomorrow is dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph, I really enjoyed these flashbacks with the letter O! All is well, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ralph,
    Nothing like an old diner! We have so many where I live, and we just love the homemade hash and breads that many of them make and serve. Some still make homemade French fries, they remind me of my Mom's. Mmmmm, so good! Have a good week! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your "O"s", Ralph. The only Dodge we've had was a used White Dodge 600 Convertible. It had a nice Mitzabiti engine, no turbo. I too like corned beef hash. Princess Cruise ships have it often. But the best corned beef hash I've had was breakfast at the Army mess hall. Nice Ohio info and pictures, I'm wondering if perhaps you were born there? Oh yes, I do like shrimp and this place had those poboys also. But Oysters are more of a treat for me.
    ..

    ReplyDelete